Several departments of the University began to initiate new courses or add new emphasis to already existing curriculum for the purposes of developing a greater understanding of the war issues and with the express purpose of meeting the needs of
These courses dealt more directly with military preparation. They were Radio Technology, First Aid, Canteen Work, Child Development and Home Nursing (for women), Psychology of Modern Warfare, and basic training in the use of precision instruments22.
The School of Engineering and Architecture, since the end of the spring 1940 semester, offered defense training courses in the evening through the Engineering, Science, and Management Defense Training (ESMDT) (formerly the Engineering Defense Training) Program. Some of the courses conducted were Chemistry of Powder and Explosives, Elementary Circuits and Machinery, Surveying and Mapping, and Tool Engineering. The total enrollment during the semester was 629, and 269 received certificates of completion23.
Steps were taken along the lines of civilian defense. The Sub-Committee on Air-Raid Protection (ARP) perfected a system through which the campus was divided into seven sectors that would be protected by student, faculty, and staff volunteers. Courses were offered for ARP staff in First Aid, Ambulance Driving (for women), and Nutrition and Canteen Work24.
The Sub-Committee on Women in National Defense, in an effort to bring forth the participation of women, conducted a census among 600 women in June of 1941 to determine the best way in which women could contribute. The result was that women could perform various campaigns, such as books for soldiers, clothes for refugees, stamps and bonds sales , and rationing25. Other Sub-Committees sought to take necessary steps to protect the University’s rare books, historic records, valuable objects of art, and scientific equipment from destruction, and to provide resources for health and physical fitness26….